Make a Gift
- One Time Gift
- Monthly Gift
- Tribute Cards
- Gifts of Stocks and Securities
- Major Gifts
- Legacy Giving
- Corporate Partnerships
1. One Time Gift
Your gift to Zareinu makes you part of a larger network of corporations and individuals who understand the importance of providing support for children with a wide range of physical and developmental challenges.
Yes I would like to donate
2. Monthly Gift
Be part of our miracle team.
A monthly gift is one of the most cost effective ways to provide continuous and steady support to Zareinu Educational Centre.
$50 per month is only $1.65 per day!
$36 per month is only $1.20 per day!
$18 per month is only 60 cents per day!
- Monthly gifts save on processing and administrative costs, meaning more of your contribution reaches the children of Zareinu.
- If you have any questions, we would be happy to assist you. Please call our office at 416.661.1800
Yes I would like to donate
3. Tribute Cards
Honour or remember special people and events, while helping the children of Zareinu.
Here are some samples of our lovely tribute cards (pdf of cards).
To order a card or for more information contact Nicola Ostrom at:
905.738.5542 or email@example.com
- Honour life cycle events (Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Graduations, Births, Confirmations).
- Recognize outstanding efforts of teachers and school staff.
- Notes of appreciation to friends and colleagues.
- Send wishes to friends, family, office staff, clients or customers.
- Send warm wishes to friends and family for the holidays (High holidays, Chanukah, Purim, Passover, Christmas, Easter).
On your behalf, we will send a lovely acknowledgement card to the honouree. You will receive a charitable receipt for the full amount of your gift.
Yes I would like to donate
At a time of loss, an in memoriam gift is a beautiful way to honour a person’s legacy and help the children of Zareinu receive the treatments and adapted education they need.
On your behalf, a sympathy card will be sent to the family or relative that you designate. A charitable receipt will be issued for the full amount of the gift.
Yes I would like to donate
4. Gifts of Stocks and Securities
Giving stocks or securities is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
Why gifts of stocks and securities are an attractive option for giving:
- Winning stocks: you do not pay capital gains tax on a gift of an appreciated stock/security to a charity. Any excess tax credit can be carried forward five years.
- Losing stocks: Consider triggering a capital loss and donating the cash proceeds to Zareinu. Not only will you receive a donation credit, but the capital loss on the securities can be used to offset capital gains in the current year or be carried back three years or carried forward indefinitely to offset any capital gains and reduce your income taxes.
- You will receive a tax receipt for the full, fair market value of the shares, but you will not be taxed on any gain.
- You can claim charitable donations up to 75% of your net income.
- Your gift comes from your assets, not your income.
- Donations can also be used to reduce tax liability when unexpected taxable events occur.
- Using charitable giving as a tax planning vehicle benefits both you and the charity.
Charitable Giving Example: donating stocks vs. cash (pdf)
Three easy steps:
- Click here to fill out the Authorization to Transfer Shares form (PDF).
- Complete and sign the Authorization to Transfer Shares form.
- Fax the form to our office at 905.738.5542 or mail it to our office at:
Zareinu Educational Centre, 36 Atkinson Avenue, Thornhill, ON L4J 8C9.
If you have any questions, please call 905.738.5542.
Remember to provide a copy of the authorization to transfer shares form to your broker to initiate the transfer of shares and keep a copy for your records.
- On May 2, 2006, the government made a decision to allow donations of publicly-listed securities to public charities to be exempt from capital gains taxation.
- The gift must be of “qualified” appreciated securities (including shares, mutual fund shares, segregated fund shares, bonds, warrants), and options listed on a prescribed stock exchange.
- The donor must transfer the securities to Zareinu Educational Centre in kind without selling them. If the donor sells the securities before transferring, the standard capital gains tax rules then apply to the disposition. (50% of the gain rather than 0%).
- Your receipt will be valued based on the closing price on the day when the shares are legally transferred to our account.
5. Major Gifts
The Zareinu staff and leadership are available to help ensure that your philanthropic goals are achieved. We are pleased to assist you in planning your major gift so that it will be directed as you wish, while meeting the needs of Zareinu’s children.
To discuss opportunities to contribute to Zareinu with a major gift, please contact Rhonda Levy, Chief Development Officer at 905.738.5542 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Endowments allow you to have the opportunity to give year after year.
The capital of your endowment fund is invested in perpetuity and the investment income is used annually to support Zareinu’s programs or operation. Establish an endowment fund and create a legacy to an individual or family.
Join our challenge program for endowed gifts:
We are pleased to announce that an anonymous donor will supplement your endowed gift by providing a dollar for dollar match for every dollar that you contribute
You can donate stocks or bonds to establish your endowment fund. You will receive a tax receipt for the full appreciated value of the stock or the value of the bonds and you will not be subject to capital gains tax.
To discuss opportunities to contribute to Zareinu via an endowment, please contactRhonda Levy, Chief Development Officer at 905.738.5542 or email email@example.com.
7. Legacy Giving
Leave a legacy or planned gift for future generations. A planned gift allows you to continue your philanthropic goals beyond your lifetime.
- A planned gift enables you to make a significant contribution without altering your current lifestyle.
- Legacy gifts of any size can be designed to match personal circumstances as everyone has unique family and financial circumstances. All gifts, regardless of size, are appreciated. Anyone can leave a legacy gift.
- Charitable gifts made in a Will up to 100% of net income are deemed to be made in the year of death and can offset any tax owing on your tax return for the year of death. Any unused portion may be carried back to the year preceding death. This is also subject to the 100% limit.
There are many ways to leave a legacy. Choose one that is right for you:
1) Bequests: are typically part of the Will preparation. They are easy to make and can be established in any amount.
a. Specific Bequest – designates a set amount of money or a specific piece of property.
- “I bequeath the sum of ________ ($XX) to Zareinu Educational Centre of Metropolitan Toronto to be used in the area(s) most needed as determined by the Board of Directors of Zareinu Educational Centre”.
2) Residual Bequest: designates all, or a percentage of, what remains in your estate once dependents and others you wish to benefit and after all other debts, taxes and administrative expenses have been paid.
- “I bequeath ___% of the residue of my estate to Zareinu Educational Centre of Metropolitan Toronto to be used in the area(s) most needed as determined by the Board of Directors of Zareinu Educational Centre”.
We recommend that you consult with your lawyer in order to ensure the proper clause is inserted into your Will.
b. Gifts of Life Insurance – a wonderful way to show you care about Zareinu.
- Allows a donor to make a large donation at a relatively small cost.
- Allows a donor to make a donation much larger than he might have been able to during his lifetime.
I) A donor can name Zareinu the beneficiary in a new policy or the donor can change the beneficiary of an existing policy:
- The donor continues to pay the premiums.
- Zareinu will receive the death benefit.
- The donor is deemed to have made a gift to the charity immediately before death and will receive a tax receipt for the value of the policy.
II) A donor can use life insurance proceeds to pay a bequest in a will to a charity:
- The estate would be named beneficiary of the life insurance policy.
- The Will would include a bequest equal to the death benefit of the life insurance policy.
- A receipt would be issued by Zareinu for the amount of the bequest received.
- The resulting charitable tax credit could then be used to reduce taxes in the year of death and/or in the prior year.
- A direct designation of a charity as a beneficiary will be treated as a donation in the year of death of the insured.
c. RRSP or RRIF:
- Appoint Zareinu Educational Centre the beneficiary of your RRSP/RRIF.
- Since the balance in an RRSP or RRIF is treated as income in the year of death, RRSP/RRIF plans can be subject to high taxes when left in your estate in the absence of a rollover to a spouse.
- Naming Zareinu as a beneficiary of your RRIFF/RRSP protects this portion of your estate from probate or creditors.
- Naming Zareinu as the beneficiary helps offset the taxes payable of the RRSP/RRIF proceeds.
- Upon death, the proceeds will be included in income and taxed accordingly. However, The donor is deemed to have made a gift to the charity immediately before death and will receive a tax receipt for the value of the RRSP/RRIF.
- The same result can be achieved by a bequest in a Will equal to the amount included as income under an RRSP/RRIF without having to determine the amount in advance.
If you would like to make a planned gift to Zareinu or you already have made arrangements for a legacy gift, please let us know. Please consider filling out a Planned Gift Confirmation Form (PDF).
We would be honoured to recognize you as one of our legacy members. If you wish to keep our gift anonymous, we will respect your wishes.
8. Corporate Partnerships
Companies with philanthropic values similar to Zareinu’s mission can align themselves with Zareinu and help children with a wide range of physical and developmental challenges receive the treatments and adapted education they need.
Matching Giving Programs
- Implementing a matching gift program is a powerful message for your employees. It shows you are a company that values and promotes community giving.
- There are many employers that will match your donation to the charity of your choice, making your donation go even further.
- Contact your employer’s human resources office to determine if there is a matching program at your workplace.
There are several wonderful events at Zareinu. Help the children of Zareinu reach their potential, receive excellent value for your advertising dollar (as corporate sponsor and/or advertising in printed materials) and raise your corporate profile. Click here for more information on becoming a corporate sponsor for one of our events.
To discuss opportunities to contribute to Zareinu via a corporate partnership, please contact Rhonda Levy, Chief Development Officer at 905.738.5542 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.